Strategic Planning Meetings: Week of October 19

Monday, October 19, 2015
1:00pm – Strategic Planning Committee (RPL 325) (please note day/time change)
3:00pm – University as Public Institution Working Group (RPL 325)
4:00pm – Open Forum: One University – The ATU Brand and Identity (Doc Bryan Lecture Hall)

Tuesday, October 20, 2015
1:30pm – Executive Planning Committee (RPL 325)
3:00pm – Financial Structure and Operations Working Group (RPL 325)
3:30pm – Academic Structure and Faculty Working Group (RPL 326)

Wednesday, October 21, 2015
1:00pm – Enrollment and Marketing Working Group (RPL 325)

Thursday, October 22, 2015
2:00pm – Student Support Working Group (RPL 325)

Comments

1. http://Kendall%20Tubb says

So when speaking of brand and identity, I think the first thing that comes to mind for most people are things like the Wonderboy/Golden Sun/Jerry delimma and logos and such. I definitely think these things are very important, but another thing I would like to add is a comment regarding out primary majors.

When trying to decide between various colleges, I toured Henderson State University. Something that I learned on my tour of Henderson was the “specialties” or primary majors of the school such as education, nursing, and aeronautics. They told me stats about those majors but also talked about other majors I was interested in. When I toured Tech, however, I was never told what majors we excel or specialize in, and I still to this day (I am a junior) am not entirely sure what our specialty majors are. When people want to do agriculture, they usually go to UAM or UAPB. If someone wants to get a degree to be an airplane pilot, they go to Henderson. Fayetteville had the best engineering college in the state. This doesn’t mean that the other programs at these universities are bad, and it surely doesn’t mean that other universities in the state have terrible engineering or agriculture programs. But they promote their specialties go attract more students and shape that academic part of their university.

Henderson, for example, has an excellent theatre program. I didn’t hear that on my tour, but rather from a friend who goes there. And it is commonly acknowledged that if you are going to go into theatre in Arkansas, Henderson should be toward the top of your list.

But what about Tech? What should Tech be at the top of one’s list for? I’ve heard that Tech has one of the best biology programs in the state and that we have the biggest plant registry (like documenting new plants?) in the state. But I heard that from a student when I was a sophomore, and it may not be true. I have also heard that a lot of people come here for our engineering program, our forestry- and agriculture-related majors, and our music program. Are these our best majors? None of these have been confirmed, at least in my knowledge. I know that liberal arts is pretty big here, with the Behavioral Sciences (my department) being one of our biggest programs with the most students, but is it a specialty of Tech?

I know that this information may be out there, and maybe I just haven’t found it because I came to college knowing I wanted to go into Behavioral Sciences, and I know a lot has changed since I took a tour of Tech three years ago. Of course, we shouldn’t ignore our non-specialty majors/programs. We can’t cut their funding or make them feel unnecessary or unimportant. But my question is, is this information out there, and how to we make it widely known to college students and (especially) high schoolers looking at colleges in Arkansas? What are Tech’s specialties?

Speak Your Mind

*